top of page

History of Opisto


The first phase of the school building - the central part of the present building, vaulted hallway and canteen - was built on the outskirts of the Lahti Township in 1903-1904.

The building had three floors, the top of which is the present Upper Level. The building was designed by architectural office Helin in Hämeenlinna and the building became styled in National Romanticism.


The second phase of construction was completed in 1909-1910. This phase included a ballroom, overhead facilities and an east wing. At the same time, the first phase of the building was raised by one floor. The present level of Tuulensuu was built.

The construction phase was designed by Uuno Alanco, a well-known architect and visual artist. The style of the building was Late National Romance.




The third phase, the western wing, was built between 1925 and 1927. This building included a large lecture hall and three floors of dormitories serving the needs of the Folk High School. A sauna and a laundry department came underground. At the same time, the tower of the National Romantic style was raised and adapted to the style of the auxiliary wing.

The design was made by Elis Kaalamo, an architect from Lahti, and the style of the building was a straightforward and rugged classic style. Characteristic of the early years of independent Finland.


In the 1930s, an extensive extension plan was prepared. However, when the war broke out, plans remained short.

After the war, in 1948, another floor of the dormitory was added and the tower was raised.

The elevations were designed by architect Unto Ojonen.


bottom of page